History

Fraser & MacDonald was formed in 1944 by Alex MacDonald as a local armature winding company.  Originally based in Glasgow's east end, F&M grew steadily in size and reputation over the next decades to become successfully established as a leading drives company in Scotland.   In 1966 the company was appointed as a stockist for Crompton Parkinson and in doing so began to establish itself as a distribution business alongside the traditional electric motor repair service.  By the 1970's the UK electric motor market was changing fast and became dominated by Brook Crompton Parkinson and we grew to be the largest Scottish electric motor distributor.   Electronic variable speed drives entered the marketplace increasingly and Fraser & MacDonald responded to these market opportunities and diversified very successfully, becoming a leading drives and controls business.   Growth has come through increased business but also by acquisition allowing us to expand our ability to provide service locally in many places.